Welcome to our blog! Have a look around!

Friday, November 21, 2008

The story of the twins birth.......

The twins are 8 weeks old now. Now that things have calmed down a bit I thought I would share their birth story. Wednesday September 24 seemed like a normal day, I was uncomfortable, huge and still had 2 1/2 weeks until my scheduled c-section. My sister Jen was down from Logan visiting with her kids and Jen, Cami, and I had taken our kids to "Jump on it" that day and then we all ate dinner at my parents house. A little before 11 pm I was laying on the couch halfway between awake and asleep and Sloan had just gotten home from work about an hour earlier and was sitting on the floor in front of me watching TV. At 11:03 I felt a gentle "pop" that jolted me awake. I immediately jumped up and moved the four feet from the carpet to the tile floor and "water" came splashing out everywhere. I told Sloan my water broke and he started getting our stuff together to go to the hospital. After my parents came and picked up Sydnee and I was situated on a big stack of towels in the car we headed to the hospital. We arrived at about 11:45 pm. The labor & delivery nurse checked to make sure my water had really broken and then the next thing I knew there were several people in the room bustling all around doing things and the anesthetist came in to tell me about the spinal. Within minutes I was wheeled into the operating room. The anesthestist put in my spinal and from then on everything went so fast. At 12:38 am on September 25 Aubree Virginia came out first weighing 5lbs. 15oz. Two minutes later at 12:40, Kilee Rachel was born weighing 4lbs. 14oz. they were both 17 inches long.
We were both so happy that they were finally here! Over the next 30 hours they really struggled with eating. Because of their prematurity, they didn't have the natural born desire to suck and the effort it took them to eat caused them to burn too many calories, so on Friday night our awesome pediatrician, Dr. Wilcox opted to put them in the level II nursery (NICU) so they could receive their feedings through a tube in their nose. We were allowed to do one regular feeding every 12 hours, and when they were taking a full regular feeding, they would advance their feedings until they were taking all eight feedings on their own.
They were in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks and came home on the day they were scheduled to be born, October 13. It was really hard having them in the hospital and really took a toll on us. I am so grateful that they are home and thriving. They are the sweetest little girls. We are also grateful for wonderful health insurance and wonderful doctors and nurses that gave them such great care. Were still not sure what the Lord was thinking when he decided to send us twins!!!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing!!! You sure have a beautiful family!

Danielle said...

Thanks for sharing the birth story! They are both so adorable!

Jane said...

You are a trooper! What a strong woman you are!